Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My experience with high school students

My experience with high school students

Last week, we had a pretty good experience and activity in my ESL class . During 3 days we (my classmates and I) worked with high school students and we had a magnificent experience with them.

I think that was one of the best ideas in this semester, because we worked with American students and that helped us to improve our English in all ways.

We did three different activities with them. The first day, we worked on poetry, in my opinion it was pretty cool, because I have never read a poem in English, so it was something different for me. Second day, we did a debate about drinking age in United States, if it should be lower or stay like that. My team was for lowering the drinking age and we won the debate.

And the last day, we did a play about some American short stories. That was fun, because we dressed up with costumes and it was fun to see one of my classmates dressed like a old lady and another classmate wearing a tiara.

In my opinion, this kind of activity is completely working for international students, because they can prove to themselves that they can talk with American speakers.

Even though, the students are in medium level and they did not pass the TOELF test yet, that could help to make something easier for them.

In fact, I think every ESL program should do this kind of activity for their students.

4 comments:

  1. Aw your a sweety.... and last week was a blast. we had so much fun and learned so much from all of you. it was awesome making connections with each of you and building those friendships, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your presentation about Venezuela, especially all the nice pictures. It was fun to get to know you better. Lunch was fun too - hope to see you sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the presentation about venezuela. I enjoyed the friendship

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had so much fun with you guys and I wish we could do this every week. We all learned so much from you guys.
    If you would like to talk more email me at Shelbie_army@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete